As a small practice we have the capacity to offer a variety of services related to existing and historic properties. Our services include historic preservation consulting, led by Kim, and architectural services, led by Jack. In addition, given our extensive hands-on repair and restoration experience, we offer small scale “design/restore” services such as old window repair, porch restoration, minor woodworking, and exterior storm/screen window installation. The listing below provides a better description of the services we offer.
The preservation consulting services are directed by Kim Alvarez, who has a Master’s in Historic Preservation Planning and more than 20 years of professional experience. Kim is a published author and approaches a preservation project through both the research of an architectural historian and technical perspective of an architectural conservator. These services include but are not limited to:
- State & National Register nominations (individual, districts and multiple property listings)
- Cultural Resource Surveys & NYS Historic Resource Inventory Forms
- Historic Structure Reports & Master Planning (research of evolution, condition survey & phased preservation plans)
- Building Condition Assessment Reports & Preservation Heritage-funded Conservation Assessment Program studies.
- State & Federal Rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit Projects (full documentation, certification applications & architectural planning & project administration)
- Preservation Grant application and/or administration
- Historic window condition survey reports & restoration specifications
- Period Paint Schemes & Façade Improvement consultations
- Historic property research & chronologies documenting building development & evolution
The firm’s architectural design aspects of our firm’s services are led by Jack Alvarez, who earned his B.Arch at Syracuse University and then gained experience working in the three of the nations most renowned Preservation Architecture firms in San Francisco, Boston and Albany. Growing up he worked with his family’s construction company learning about all aspects of the different trades involved in home building. Today he brings his classical-based architectural training, preservation experience and hands-on construction background to his own architectural practice. Jack obtained his license in 2001 and has been involved in numerous small scale design projects as well as oversight of projects costing in the hundreds to the multi-millions. Architectural services at Landmark Consulting include but are not limited to:
- Full architectural services for repair, restoration, rehabilitation and adaptive reuse projects.
- Building documentation and full measured drawings
- Schematic Designs for sensitive renovations or alterations to historic properties
- Hand-drawn perspective renderings for project fundraising efforts
- Architectural design and CAD drawings for renovations including but not limited to kitchen, bathroom, built-in cabinetry, façade improvements, and new or altered porch, garage or additions within historic properties.
- Design Development, Full Bidding and Contract Documents for construction projects (new or old construction)
- NYS Building Code review and analysis for existing buildings undergoing modifications
- Sensitive ADA-compliant improvements for historic properties
- Building Permit Drawings for small scale projects where extensive design is not needed.
- Contractor referrals
- Serving as owner’s representative for construction/restoration administration and oversight
Both Jack and Kim have hands-on experience working on restoration projects and together they have restored a handful of houses and more than 250 historic windows. They have presented more than two dozen wood window repair workshops in eastern New York and Western Massachusetts and as such bring a unique perspective to their clients, particularly historic home-owners that are looking for guidance in their own DIY projects. When qualified restoration contractors are scarce, Jack and Kim, have been known to take on small restoration project for hire. Jack is EPA LEADSafe certified. These repair/restoration services include:
- Historic window repairs and restorations (wood and steel)
- Custom storm/screen window fabrication or installations
- Design/build services for porch restorations
- Painting / wood restoration
- Aluminum/vinyl siding removals.
- 83 Grove Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- (518) 458-8942
- Contact Form